That wasn't meant to happen!!

I had a bit of a wake up call today, yesterday!

If you have been following my blog you will know that over the last couple of weeks I have been creating interactions with Nick that are all about 'US'.  I have made lists, planned interactions, thought about how mindful I must be at giving Nick the opportunity to 'think dynamically' (e.g. cut back on all the verbal stuff, use as little prompting as possible, make sure that I give him time to process information!).  

Our consultant then assigned me another objective because it was time to go a bit deeper!  Here it is......
The Student applies an understanding of Continuity and Permanence, to anticipate recurrence and continuation

Yes, I had to read it a few times to get my head around it! :)  Basically, what it means is that Nick should understand pauses within 'US'. Our consultant is looking for "the challenge that Nick *anticipates* continuing by NOT showing stress within the pause."  It sounds easy but when you get down to the nitty gritty, it is hard work!  
#1 Think about the interaction 
#2 Think about the 'connection' within that interaction. 
#3 Think about the pause within that connection!

So anyway, I planned an interaction: It's called Stalk the Nick!!! (I know, the game sounds a bit childish for a 12 year old kid, however, lets face it, this is his developmental level - yes it does suck.....but such is life!)

I set up the video camera to record our interaction! Just in case you are wondering why I have so much video footage to share....... it's not because I love to see myself on camera, believe me, I really don't! Videoing everything we do gives me the opportunity to watch the footage and to reflect on what we were doing, what went great and what I could do to improve that interaction.

As I was saying.... I set up the camera and started walking slowly towards Nick, using my body to emphasize 'look out, I am coming to get you'.  Well, I was a bit astounded when he went to a drawer and proceeded to take out the dishcloths!  I kept my mouth shut and waited to see what he would do next. When he started shoving the cloths back into the drawer, I realised that he was creating an old pattern......... a pattern that we had been working on a few weeks ago! 

Light-bulb moment!!!  

The video camera was running, therefore, Nick thought it was time to 'do something'.  I hadn't indicated what we were going to do, so Nick took a flier and chose an activity! 

I stopped the camera and tried again later!  I won't bore you with all the details, just check out the video below! 

Now you can look at this in two ways............. 

Was Nick being a dynamic thinker because he assessed his surroundings and chose what to do? 

OR

Is his 'thinking' so entrenched in 'static' mode, that he associated the video camera with having to 'do something'?

As for me, I need to go back to thinking about... The Student applies an understanding of Continuity and Permanence, to anticipate recurrence and continuation!

~*~

P.S. Played 'Stalk the Nick' in the supermarket this afternoon (hilarious fun).... am very glad that I didn't bump into anyone I know!!!! :)



2 comments:

  1. ok...so read and watched...count me wrong or right...? but looks like you trying to get that excited anticipation look...ie: just before you are about to pounce on nick from stalking him you share a moment where he is engaged with you with big eyes of what is coming next look and looking forward to finding out the outcome whether it be a tickle or forehead smooch or mask from behind the back etc....
    it looked like nick was in unproductive uncertainty where he was just not sure and he tried to please you indifferent areas... (the dishwasher...know you guys had some game with that too ) thus becoming a distraction.

    in looking at the video...great looking for guidance on nicks part...it just seemed he wasnt sure of the task?...'im a scary monster that is coming to eat you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Nick is competent in those interactions!! Remember when he steared clear from you!!! haha Now the boy wants to put towels away and empty the dishwasher...:) Plu syou added some uncertainty in there so he fell back on what he *knows*.... So of course that means more challenge on what we are doing :):) Boy how I wish I could of been in that supermarket!!! :)

    Kathy
    http://whatisrdi.blogspot.com/p/why-this-blog.html
    http://autismremediationforourchildren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. x