IRELAND

I love travelling and will happily find any reason to pack my suitcase and hop on a plane to anywhere. This time my excuse was to attend an autism conference in Dublin, Ireland. I did admit to the husband that I was actually going for the *me time*, to which he responded with only a frown ~ phew, I got off lightly...what a good man!

The trip didn't start off well. My first flight was very late and I only made the international connection because the plane waited for me and 25 other people. Unfortunately my luggage disappeared and wasn't seen again for another three full days! 

I then had two hours between my London/Ireland connection and made the most of it by frantically buying some clothes to kit me out for the conference.... No way was I going to be a bogan (Australian term that I learned from an Aussie during the flight to London!) and wear tired old running shoes to an international conference! 


The Convention Centre, Dublin, Ireland

I enjoyed the two day event and felt that it was... "seriously cool to be in a room of nearly 500 people who have a connection with autism and know that I am not alone on this crazy topsy turvy journey. :)" (My facebook post on my Bright Side wall!) 

The organisers did a fantastic job and we had a vast array of speakers to listen to. Best I not get into all the nitty gritty of the conference as there is just too much information to share, and I like to keep my blog posts relatively short!

There was also partying to be had, however, what happens on tour, stays on tour! ;)


I decided to stay in Dublin for an extra two days after the conference had finished. #Justbecause. I was so fortunate to met up with a friend called Kathryn and her two very gorgeous little girls. Also did a bit of sightseeing with a Durban friend and I even winged a day of being alone and enjoying a long walk around the coastline near a small fishing village called Howth. Truth be told, the hike takes around four hours and I did cheat by taking the bus to the summit, hence cutting a couple of hours off the hike. (The tired old running shoes came in very handy!)

 

That very same evening I met up with two lovely blogging gals, Looking for Blue Sky and Jazzygal. I have been following their blogs for quite a long time and it really was wonderful to meet them in person. Yeah, yeah, I know there are two teapots on the table... they came with the pudding!! Please note the wine glasses!


The next morning I bid farewell to Ireland and headed back to London. For the next 24 hours I spent time with my sister, hit my favorite Orla Kiely shop, had an awesome supper with friends at Jamie's Italian in Covent Garden, slept in (which is very rare!) and also spent  time window shopping in Oxford Street! 

My sister, Rhian

Celebrating my birthday in style at Jamie's Italian!

The trip is now but a memory. I loved every minute away and will definitely be going back to spend some more time in Ireland. As for those tired old running shoes ~ I need to put them into good use and try and get rid of some of the weight picked up in Dublin.. and I am not talking about the suitcase! 

Onwards and upwards.....


10 comments:

  1. Di, it sounds lovely. I'm so glad you got some "me time." We all need to recharge a bit every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. It was really great... and also much needed! I am trying to catch up with your webinars, however, my internet is giving me grief! :(

      Delete
  2. So glad you had so much fun, and it was really wonderful to meet you :) I just love all these amazing and unexpected benefits of blogging :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Sky, so much fun and I loved meeting you and Jazzy. I will definitely be back for another visit!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and thanks for the mention : ) Hopefully next time you're back you can stay in my mum's B&B! Talk soon K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, so awesome to meet you and your girls.Definitely would love to stay at your mum's B&B next time.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear you had a great time! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had a lovely time. I missed you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, thanks so much, Walking. My long term goal is to visit the States. In fact I have hinted to Allan that we need to hire a Winnebago and tour your country (with Nick!!). :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. x