On the first day of December...


I admit it. I am feeling a little frazzled, a little out of sorts, a bit antsy and somewhat stressed.

School breaks up on Wednesday and do you know what that means? Woo hoo, it's holiday time! No more early mornings.... yeah right! Loads of free time to do whatever rocks our boat. We can take life slow and just go with the flow. I can spend quality time with my kids. No pressure to get them to school or Nick to therapy. Long days with no plans.

Sigh. 

I pulled out the calendar to check out the length of the holiday. 41 days, people. 41 days! That's a lot of time to fill, especially when one kid just happens to be autistic. Especially when that kid would LOVE to spend every waking minute glued to some sort of screen.

The truth of the matter is that I really relish those mornings when Nick is at school. It gives me the freedom to do what I want to do without any responsibilities. I am going to miss that, big time!

Anyhow, in an effort to look on the bright side, I have been mulling over a few ideas on what to do with Nick. The days will offer up many opportunities to hang out, get out or chill out. We can also put some extra time into working together on planned engagements. I am so tuned into living an RDI lifestyle that Nick will always be a part of what we are doing, whether it be making breakfast together or hunting for the bread and milk at the supermarket.

I found a nice weekly planner and I do intend to use it. It took me three minutes to scribble some ideas onto the first page (see photo below). I may throw out this first sheet and start again, however, just writing down the *to do* list has made me realise that our 41 days are going to fly by.

And if it all gets a bit much and I need some time out, then I will just call on Nick's big brother to Nickysit for a couple of hours. I am sure he will be keen to earn some bucks!






8 comments:

  1. 41 days? Wow! We don't get Christmas school Holidays 'til Dec 20th and then for only 2 weeks. I guess that's why we have such a long summer break... you get longer mid terms?
    Best of luck, hope it goes well.

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jazzy. The 41 days also includes each weekend! Our school calender is also different than yours. I think that your school year starts in September, whilst ours actually starts in January. Our long summer holiday is over our Christmas period. We also have four school terms, so no mid term! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm really hoping to do some more things with my son over the upcoming Christmas break - he seems to be finding secondary school tiring and just wants to rest at home!

    Best of luck with the holidays, and fingers crossed you get some time to yourself xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue Sky, going to secondary school is a big jump and I am sure that it takes a while to re-adjust. I am going to aim for some proactive times and also down times... we all need our rest. Look forward to hearing how you get on. xx

      Delete
  3. 41 days is definitely a long time with no down time! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Miriam ~ It certainly is! I am in the process of trying to organise a few free hours here and there! :-)

      Delete
  4. 41 days!!! Wow! Our school has just over two weeks. But, then there is a very looooong summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Walking ~ This is our summer vacation and I have a feeling that it isn't as LONG as yours... thank goodness! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. x